Thursday, December 08, 2005

Revealation

I didn’t realize I grew up on a diet of Marxist philosophy until I started teaching Rule of Law and Marxism.

When my fresh-faced students look at me with great earnest when the topic of Karl Marx comes up, I tell them what the syllabus says I should teach. That Marxist philosophy fundamentally opposed the concentration of power in the bourgeoisie (ruling class). The proletariat(working class) must obtain consciousness to revolt against the concentration of power in the hands of the bourgeoisie because the bourgeoisie relies on the proletariat to run his industry. Imagine, I tell them. A big fat bourgeoisie smoking a big, fat cigar behind a big, fat table. He does nothing the whole day because he squeezes the blood, sweat and tears of the Proletariat in his factory. The Proletariat must come to realize that the big, fat guy cannot survive without them and thus, revolt.

This I tell them.

What I really want to tell them is to get a B-grade Tamil/Hindi movie from the 80s which I used to watch. That’s where I learnt it all. Big factory. Bad boss. Mistreated workers. Revolt. See parallels? Plus this one has added bonus of one moustachioed hero and flimsy saried heroine. Look it up.

Oh, and I haven’t gone to Highgate to pay my tribute yet. For all his working class ideals, Marx ultimately appeals to the thinking class. I wonder what he thinks of that?

5 Comments:

At 12/09/2005 01:02:00 am, Blogger JoMel said...

I am in such awe when someone talks about something which I am totally clueless about.

You are so cleverrrrr... :)

 
At 12/12/2005 03:55:00 pm, Blogger Jane Sunshine said...

Jo: No, no. Trust me. You will get the gist if you watch those Tamil/Hindi movies from the 80s as well. But only do it if you are really, really, really bored.

 
At 12/12/2005 07:09:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes that's the best thing about 80's Tamil movies.. don't need to understand the language. Just watch the facial expressions and the actions :)

 
At 12/16/2005 05:25:00 am, Blogger rara_avis_ said...

you'll be surprised to find that they charge squiddies to get to marx's tombstone - fancy that eh?!

some years ago, a friend and i jumped over the fence to tell marx this.

he was bemused.

 
At 1/06/2006 12:11:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, I think Btuce Lee's "The Big Boss" is the best film for this. There's an English version too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter