Tuesday, November 08, 2005

It was almost the worst Divali ever...

...only it wasn't.

Finally, things are holding together. The clothes are in the cupboard, books are on shelves (almost), washing machine is whirring placidly and the shed is all sorted. Again, almost sorted is the apt word. Jane Sunshine has been through a mad, mad month or so. She was ill for a few days, was having extra classes, the laptop had virus, the water pipe broke and flooded her front lawn, a plumber had the nerve to tell her that it will cause 1,000 quid to sort the pipes out, it turned out to be nothing, she had learnt that plumbing and plastering are jobs that pay very well, she went into fits whenever the builders brought mud into the house on rainy days and the dust and noise became a permanent fixture.

Was it a surprise then that she was truly depressed this Deepa Raya? M went to work and she gave the builders some shop-bought murukku on Divali. The autumn chill kept her spirit frozen. She will refuse to admit it but there were a few hot, opalscent tears as well.

Then, a parcel arrived. Carrying along with it a whiff of Malaysian sunshine and warmth that thawed her heart. She melted and broke into a smile when she opened the never ending package of murukkus, chippi, omapudi and love. Lots and lots of love. Further sent by telephonic means.

All's well now. Jane is ready to conquer the world again.

7 Comments:

At 11/10/2005 05:07:00 pm, Blogger Kak Teh said...

Jane! U've updated!! Just came back from a deepa raya open house! it was good and of course met Samy veloo! even got to shake his hands! will come backa nd we can celebrate together again.

 
At 11/11/2005 10:13:00 am, Blogger Jane Sunshine said...

KT: Yes, I finally updated after all that mayhem. Sounds like you are having a great time though I dont know about the Samy Veloo bit! Can't wait to party when you are back. Could do one with one. Have a safe trip back.

 
At 11/11/2005 12:44:00 pm, Anonymous Rajan R said...

Oh, I love chippi. Murukku is okay, but I guess you have to be Chinese or Malay to love it. (Yes, I'm a sweet tooth, how did you guess?)

 
At 11/12/2005 06:01:00 pm, Blogger Ms.B said...

Yaaaay!! You're BACK!! And am SO happy to hear that Diwali turned out GREAT after all!!

We celebrate belated Christmas and New Year's then okays???!!

Hugs!!

Think Mr. Daddy could cut it as a plumber in the UK?

 
At 11/12/2005 08:36:00 pm, Blogger Jane Sunshine said...

Rajan: I never can decide which I like better. I guess I love ALL the palagaram. That makes it easier to stuff my face with everything.

Blabs: Yes, darling. We'll meet soon. Even I am considering a plumbing career considering the remuneration. But a little too old for all this now. It's the law for us all, ya. Overworked and underpaid notwithstanding.

 
At 11/30/2005 06:24:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL.. I wonder what anyone would say if anyone charged, what, the equivalent of RM 6000+ for a pipe repair ? :) or even RM 1000, come to think of it :)

 
At 2/13/2006 12:26:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Book .. Live Your Life With A Little Daily Motivation.. Do we seek leadership training Daily,weekly or yearly. I have been interested in working and leadership training for years now. I am driven to success by the master teachers from the past. I really enjoy people like Wayne Dyer, Greg Vanden Berge and Tony Robbins. Im writing to this blog for selfish reasons, I want to see everyone live the life of their dreams. I am Living my life to the fullest and it is due to a book writen by Greg Vanden Berge . Master Goal Achiever and Author of Start Living Your Dreams Today.. A Great Book from the masters.. I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter