Monday, September 05, 2005

Mississippi Crying

When I was young, my mom used to tell me the story of Huckleberry Finn and his friend Tom Sawyer. I loved listening to Huck's adventures down the river Mississippi with Jim the 'Nigger'. I loved the word Mississippi. Try saying it slowly, it is such a fun word to say. The novel dwelt on many issues regarding class and slave labour. I always adored Jim, the slave who was running away from captivity. He was such a nice fella, I tell ya.

(Mom would always hush me about the nigger bit. That's a rude term Jane.
But mom, why did Mark Twain use it then?
People like Jim are African-Americans, Jane. Mark Twain wrote the book a long time ago. Things have changed now. Especially after the Civil Rights movement. Everybody is equal and free).

Today, the river Mississippi overflows with the carnage of Hurricane Katrina. The areas around are inflicted with a tragedy that I cannot believe can happen in our time. But mom, if everybody is equal and free, why are there so many Jims left behind and still suffering?

5 Comments:

At 9/06/2005 04:55:00 am, Blogger Kak Teh said...

Jade , sad indeed. sad that help was very much denied - and athe world witnessed the injustice of it all. in this day and age!

 
At 9/06/2005 08:19:00 am, Blogger Jane Sunshine said...

Is this Kak Teh or her PA?

 
At 9/06/2005 10:43:00 am, Blogger Kak Teh said...

her PA! kak teh says hi!

 
At 3/14/2007 08:59:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

home for rent in mississippi

 
At 3/26/2007 11:25:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.adquity.com
Classifieds for our community. Buy, sell, trade, date, events... post anything. Adquity Classifieds.

http://www.adquity.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter