Wednesday, September 28, 2005

For the Record

A few days ago, a particular person left a rather toxic comment on my blog. My immediate reaction was to delete it, which I did. In retrospect, I am wondering if it was correct for me to delete the comment. After all, I have always been passionate about rights including the right to free speech. I have spent a great part of my life studying about rights and championing it. For a brief moment, I was filled with trepidation. Blogosphere after all, is a free space-surely everyone is free to go where they want and say what they want?

Yet, when a comment is plain bitchy and causes hurt, should I just leave it there?

That's the problem. The right to comment.

I am a firm believer that a right, if not corresponded with duty, would become meaningless. The fundamental rights framework that informs the world today is basically a western idea. It has little or no place for 'duties'. If however we look at eastern philosophy, duties come even before rights. Today, there is a profound realization, even in western philosophy, that rights without corresponding duties becomes an impotent idea.

Blogosphere is a whole new ball game but the basic rules should apply. While everyone is free to say anything they want, they must also be duty-bound to not incite hate/terror/unrest.

My point is that anyone is free to comment anywhere. But please, at the end of the day, it is also important to remember one's duties as a net/blog citizen.

If a person is not bothered with this, then, surely I am free to remove such a comment? I am not claiming to be some kind of net/blog police, but when something wrong happens and it is within my control, I should be able to act on it.

Further, even if we don't go into the language of duties, there is also this thing called manners. When someone is downright RUDE, I have every right to shut them up, thank you very much.

7 Comments:

At 9/28/2005 07:37:00 pm, Blogger snaars said...

Those who comment have the duty to be respectful. You have the right to delete comments. That's what the little trash-can icon is for. Don't beat yourself up about it.

 
At 9/29/2005 11:13:00 am, Blogger Ms.B said...

Yes, agree with Snaars. It's your blog, and thus you reserve that absolute right to delete any comment you wish.

It's just plain good manners to "knock" on the door before you go to somebody's "place", and it follows through that you must obviously "behave" when the host has been kind enough to let you in.

Even Jeff Ooi deletes comments from his blog. :)

 
At 9/29/2005 05:42:00 pm, Blogger EM&EM said...

Remember 3Rs? The final 'R'should with written with the second 'R' in mind.

 
At 9/30/2005 02:36:00 pm, Blogger Kak Teh said...

yes, if there's nothing that catches your fancy - just walk away. There is really no need to be rude.

 
At 9/30/2005 06:16:00 pm, Blogger Ewok said...

well said. it's your blog, you have the right to do whatever you want. If someone disagree with anything at all, then they can have a good debate like a well educated and well-mannered person they were brought up to be. if they can't even do that, orang malaysia kata 'kurang ajar!'

 
At 10/04/2005 06:13:00 pm, Blogger Ely said...

we cant really tell a person what to say or comment right? sometimes some comments tend to be 'catchy' they want reaction i suppose.

there r 2 choices, to 'ignore' and not response. or to delete. you can also do a strike 2 system, 1st time buat bodoh, 2nd time delete sudah.

blog world is suppose to be happy kan? bukan nak bikin org lain marah pulak.

 
At 11/14/2005 11:01:00 am, Blogger bibliobibuli said...

Went through this myself in the early days of my blog. Your blog is your home on the web. You are entitled to peace and safety. Show those who don't respect your feelings the door and don't apologise for it. Wipe up their muddy footprints by deleting the posts.

Having said that, I've not deleted anything but spam ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter