Saturday, August 06, 2005

Of Shady Dealings and Victorian Spirits

Sue Trinder’s fiendish escapades in Sarah Waters Fingersmith is keeping me engrossed this weekend. It has a Dickensian appeal that brings alive 19th Century London with vivid colours and shady undertones. All grimy and dark passions. Lovely.

Talking about 19th Century. M and I just found out that our flat was built in 1845 or so! Amazing. It’s one of those Victorian buildings that’s been partitioned of into smaller portions. I had of course imagined all along that the whole place was once upon a time a magnificent mansion with carriages and servants, fine ladies in elegant jewels and all the quaint Jane Austen touches. Of course, sometimes when I stay up to do my work till very late, my skin tingles with thoughts of some Victorian spirit hovering in the corner.

3 Comments:

At 8/06/2005 04:49:00 pm, Blogger Kak Teh said...

sunshine, when we first arrived, the company apartment was somewhere in a mews. imagine my disappointment - the thought of being where the stables were, and probably the likes of young Dickens (who of course roamed Bayswater and Edgware Rd) and other urchins running along the cobbled road. I was sure that sometimes at nights, I could hear hooves, or was it the Circle Line?

 
At 8/06/2005 06:56:00 pm, Blogger Jane Sunshine said...

Kak Teh, where are life takes us, huh.

 
At 10/20/2005 09:42:00 am, Blogger Frankensteina said...

Oh...sounds so romantic. Reminds me the days of the Pride & Prejudice

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter