Tuesday, August 09, 2005

No.5: Thou Shalt Not Covet Thy Neighbour's Book

Some observations about tube travel

1. Commuting without reading material in hand often makes me feel inadequate. I always feel that the people around me are arching their eyebrow and saying 'Ah look, a bimbo'.

2. This notwithstanding, I think most commuters enjoy the moments of aloneness. I like the disconnectedness - no mobile phones when underground and people around you in their own oblivion. Long commutes are great to take stock, do emotional audits and plan the day ahead.

3. During rush hour, always stand along the aisle. So, you are the closest to the next available seat. This is a technique which a non-Londoner will never know.

4. People sitting next to me do often remark that I have a great book in hand and that they had enjoyed reading it. There is a camaraderie among the reading commuters this way.

5. My pet peeve however are those who always find other people's book/reading material more interesting. I often find the person sitting next to me peering into my book, not just checking what I am reading but actually, ehm, reading it. Now, at such a moment, I can just hope that the bloke next to me doesn't have smelly breath.

3 Comments:

At 8/09/2005 01:55:00 pm, Blogger Kak Teh said...

yes, i too dread not having anything to read in the tube or on the bus. but the past two years, u will find me hunched over my manuscripts of syaer - transliterating them diligently. I treasure the one hour on the bus fr uni back to the house.
yes, i find people sharing your newspaper or book a bit annoying..no excuse these days as there's free morning papers.

 
At 8/09/2005 02:22:00 pm, Blogger The ramblings of a shoe fiend said...

thanks for stopping by my blog...
your wonder years post made me quite nostalgic

 
At 10/20/2005 09:46:00 am, Blogger Frankensteina said...

It's quite annoying when someone starts reading your book/newspaper/whatever you hand in your hand...out loud ha ha! Happened to me a couple of times.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter